Thursday 11 December 2014

CATCHING UP MISSING DAYS



November 14, 2014

I started early at 5AM headed for Conche Pearla to meet Jim and young Frank from Holland.  Our intention was to enter the closed bay and see the penguins feeding on anchovies.  We didn't see the penguins but had a super time checking out life in the bay in early morning.  We saw lots of rays, turtles, tropical fish and many playful sea lions.  When I finally made it up onto the gazebo platform I felt a burning on my body.  Frank had some red spots.  I seemed to recover as the day went on.  I even made it to the beloved Casa Rosada next door for drinks in the evening.
 I awoke early with a very itchy red rash over most of my body.   I needed help so I went the medical clinic where a nurse and two doctors attended me.  I was diagnosed with Albermarle which was a reaction to something in the water in Conche Pearla.  It is similar to a sting ray attack.  The Dr. said it wasn't serious but they were surprised at my extreme reaction.  At least this is what I think that they said.  There was a language barrier.  I had an intramuscular shot, used ointment and took pills for 5 days.  When I heard from Frank he said his spots were gone the next day.

I still made it out to dinner with Ida, the author from Norway.  Roberto stopped in for juice.  The food is mighty fine at the Isabella Grill where many of the locals go for a dinner out.

On Sun., Nov. 16 I packed up, spent the morning with the gals and baby from Norway.  We left the Isabela pier on different boats to travel to Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz Island.  That evening I had dinner at El Jardin with Lisa Cho.  She is such a lovely young lady who is totally familiar with the Galapagos.  We are helping each other with projects to be explained later.

Mon., Nov. 17 I had a reorganization day in PA.  Lisa and I met again for dinner. This time we went to the Rock.  Lisa has been researching hotels for the book she is doing for The Moon Travel series.  She has some real finds.  One such place is the Cormorant Hotel.  I love the La Peregrina but the Cormorant is pretty nice and not as expensive.  All the places that I stay in are very nice but very reasonable.......usually I pay between $15 and $50  a night  and this often includes a big breakfast.

Stay tuned for pictures and videos to follow.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment