Monday 8 December 2014

THE MIRACLE OF LIFE GIANT TURTLE STYLE



Giant sea turtles in Los Tuneles are like no other sea turtle in the Galapagos or in any other part of the world that I have visited.  The most distinguishing feature is that they are enormous.  I swam with turtles that are 2 metres (6 feet) long. I will try to show pictures that illustrate the size.

The best explanation that I can get re the extraordinary size is that they live such a relatively protected life in the tidal pools of Los Tuneles.  The same prey that would get them out in the open ocean like Orcas can't get in there.  They have plenty of food. Most of them live to be about 150 years old.

They are fascinating to watch through a snorkel mask as they glide around the deep and shallow pools.  They go slowly but can increase their speed in a flash. They come up for air when convenient.  They seem to me to communicate with one another as they like to gather in groups of three or four.  I guess you learn something after a 100 years or so.

The mating of the sea turtles is really something to see.  Males and females copulate.  When one session is complete another male moves in for his turn.  I have seen and filmed as many as six males skirmishing waiting for their turn.






The video clips are intended to illustrate the mating process.  I am still learning the details.





Note the size of the copulating turtles compared to the very tall man taking their picture.





No comments:

Post a Comment